Bab’s English Trifle
SOURCE: Babs Moran
Our favorite British citizen introduced us to this delight.
Thank you Babs!
JULY 4, 2021
- 1 Angle food cake (or 3 pk lady fingers or pound cake)
- Sherry (or Marsala or other sweet liquor)
- Seedless raspberry jam
- Large package vanilla pudding – not instant (or Byrd’s custard)
- Strawberrys, blueberries, peaches or other fruit.
- Whipping cream
- Sliced almonds – optional
Step by Step Instructions
Cut the cake into 1/2-inch thick slices to fit tightly into the bottom and about an inch up the sides of a trifle bowl. Sprinkle the cake with Sherry or Marsala cooking wine.
Spread a thin layer of raspberry jam over the cake.
Cook the pudding and cool slightly.
In a bowl, toss the berries with a sprinkling of the Sherry or Cooking wine and set aside.
Layering the cake, sherry, jam, fruit and pudding. Top with freshly whipped cream and sliced almonds.